Liver Health and Your Skin’s Glow
Disclaimer: The information contained on this site is general in nature and for informational purposes. It is not meant to substitute for the advice... read more
Disclaimer: The information contained on this site is general in nature and for informational purposes. It is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. None of the statements on this site are a recommendation as to how to treat any particular disease or health-related condition. If you suspect you have a disease or health-related condition of any kind, you should contact your health care professional immediately. Please read all product packaging carefully and consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise, supplementation or medication program. Cosmetic products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. read less
The liver is one of the most integral parts of our bodies. It is responsible for many different functions that keep us happy and healthy. Amazingly, our skin is one of the first places that we are able to see issues with it on display. I encourage you to take a moment to learn just a little more about your liver to keep you in the best of health, and beautiful on the outside as well!
The Function of the Liver
Our livers are responsible for many important functions in our bodies. One of the most vital functions of liver health is the removal of impurities from the body. They are the “filter” for our bodies, removing the ammonia created by our colons, as well as alcohol and medicines. In addition to filtering our blood, the liver is the store house for fats, sugars, and minerals, as well as the place that fats are broken down. A diet that is too high in fats or sugars could result in an unhealthy liver, unable to properly filter our blood.
Liver Illness and Skin Symptoms
The liver can be found responsible for many skin conditions. Many people know that an unhealthy liver can result in jaundice — the yellowing of the skin and eyes. Other symptoms that correspond with jaundice include constipation, thirst, or low appetite. In addition to jaundice, the liver can also be held responsible for eczema, psoriasis, acne, boils or rashes. The reason that the skin exhibits these symptoms when the liver is unhealthy is that it attempts to flush impurities through the skin, as opposed to filtering them.
Tips for a Healthy Liver
It’s not too hard to maintain a healthy liver. With a little effort and a bit of education, you can make good choices that will help your liver and skin function in a more healthy manner. Some things to keep in mind:
- Avoid Alcohol. Alcohol can contribute to a condition called fatty liver. The liver is responsible for filtering blood through the body, so the less alcohol consumed, the healthier your liver will be.
- Avoid unnecessary medicines or pain killers. Again, since the liver is your body’s filter, limiting any toxic exposures to your body will help your liver function at its optimum.
- Limit salt intake (you don’t have to stop salting your food, what’s more important is that you avoid canned and processed foods with loads of sodium. Read more about good salt here.)
- Limit meats, eggs, and fatty foods
- Drink plenty of water, room temperature when possible. Cold water will cause the restriction of your stomach, making the digestion process more difficult. The easier you can make digestion, the easier it is for the liver to do its job.
- Try taking liver-supporting herbs internally like dandelion root, milk thistle, or yellow dock.
Take care of your liver, and you’ll not only feel great, but look great as well!