Hemp seed oil has a bit of a cult following. As an incredibly nourishing oil for skin on many levels, it plumps the look of your skin, firms and tightens and provides powerful antioxidant activity to help promote beautiful skin.
But this oil’s benefits don’t stop there. People with oily skin and clogged pores swear by it because it’s moisturizing without adding to the problem. Those with sensitive skin love how gentle it is—widely tolerated by all skin types—and some even use it in their hair, because it’s so naturally conditioning.
If you’re looking for a new oil that can do all these things and more, look into hemp seed oil.
What Is Hemp Seed Oil?
Hemp seed oil comes from the seeds of the hemp plant, which is a variety of the Cannabis sativa plant species. You’ve probably heard of Cannabis as it relates to marijuana, but the species used to make the drug contains higher levels of the component “tetrahydrocannabinol (THC),” which is the component that contains psychoactive properties.
Regular hemp, however, has much lower concentrations of THC, and higher concentrations of “cannabidiol (CBD),” which actually reduces or eliminates the psychoactive effects. In fact, the standard hemp plant has been used for centuries to make rope, clothes, food, paper, plastics, insulation, textiles, and more, while the seeds were eaten raw or ground into a meal.
In addition, the hemp seeds don’t contain THC.
Cold pressed hemp seed oil is dark to light green with a nutty flavor. The refined oil is clear with little flavor, and also contains fewer skin-nourishing qualities. As with all oils, the cold pressed is the most healthful.
How Does Hemp Seed Oil Benefit the Skin?
As we mentioned, Hemp Seed Oil is full of elements that essentially act as food for your skin, leaving it nourished and healthy. Here’s what that means as far as the look and feel of skin:
- Plumps tired, dry skin: Rejuvenates the skin, creating a more youthful glow.
- Provides-long lasting moisture: If your skin gets dry halfway through the day, you may want to try this oil, since continued use over time will help your skin’s ability to retain moisture.
- Balance Oily Skin: Because hemp seed oil doesn’t clog pores, it’s often thought to be the ideal moisturizer for skin that has suffered from these issues.
- Skin calming: If you could use some relief from the feeling of some temporary skin irritation, this may be the oil for you. Hemp seed oil is naturally calming and the moisture it provides combats temporary discomfort.
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles: Hemp seed oil can protect against different environmental factors and can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Suitable for all skin types: What do you do if your skin is just struggling? Maybe you have clogged pores or dryness all at once. Hemp seed oil is calming and soothing while providing just the right amount of moisture.
Have you used hemp seed oil? Let us know in the comments below!
PubMed – Efficacy of dietary hempseed oil in patients with atopic dermatitis.