5 Rules for Drinking Coffee, From the Founder of Bulletproof
Disclaimer: The information contained on this site is general in nature and for informational purposes. It is not meant to substitute for the advice... read more
Disclaimer: The information contained on this site is general in nature and for informational purposes. It is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your own physician or other medical professional. None of the statements on this site are a recommendation as to how to treat any particular disease or health-related condition. If you suspect you have a disease or health-related condition of any kind, you should contact your health care professional immediately. Please read all product packaging carefully and consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise, supplementation or medication program. Cosmetic products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. read less
Last year our very own Kevin Gianni released his newest book: Kale and Coffee.
You were probably pretty excited about this book if you:
a. Follow Renegade Health
b. Have health goals you are working towards, or
c. Enjoy a book that’s both informative and entertaining.
Renegade Health is where Kevin and Annmarie got their start. They were traveling the world, interviewing experts, researching about health, and sharing what they learned through blog articles and videos. They quickly gained a loyal following.
But, like you may have experienced through your own health research, they encountered many issues that lacked simple answers. Salt is bad, right? Not really. High sugar diets encourage diabetes… only in some cases.
The more Kevin learned, the more he wanted to know the truth about these controversial health topics.
One of those topics is coffee. Kevin loves coffee. He describes his relationship with it like a romantic tryst, with consequences. It’s important enough that it ended up right in the title of his book…
So our second interview with Kevin (filmed right in our office!) is all about coffee. Specifically:
- Who can drink coffee, and who shouldn’t? (Hint: the answer’s in your genes.)
- What are the health benefits of drinking coffee?
- What are the rules for drinking coffee in a healthy way?
We’re covering all of it:
Exclusive Interivew – Kevin Gianni Weighs in on a Hot Topic: Coffee
5 Rules for Drinking Coffee
In Kale and Coffee Kevin talks about Dave Asprey, an influential character in the coffee movement. Dave founded Bulletproof Coffee, and through his personal pursuit to find a coffee that didn’t give him headaches he uncovered the number one problem with some coffees: mold toxin.
Coffee is highly susceptible to mold toxins (also true of peanuts), which makes the way it’s grown and processed very important. Here are Dave’s 5 rules for drinking coffee, healthfully.
- Never drink instant coffee. It comes from cheap beans that tend to be moldier.
- Try to drink coffees from Central America, which are grown at high elevations, as they tend to be less contaminated by mold.
- Stay away from decaf. It, too, tends to be moldy.
- Aim for wet-processed beans. In wet processing the fruit covering the bean is removed before it’s dried. This method improves the consistency and cleanliness of the bean.
- Avoid major brands, as they tend to mix coffees from different growers, which allows for more contamination. Stick with smaller, single-estate coffees.
To get a copy of Kevin’s book Kale and Coffee, head straight to Amazon if you would like to purchase!
by Hope Freije