Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
Homemade beauty products for glowing skin are such a hit because they can transform your skin’s texture and appearance with fewer (and safer) ingredients, all within the comfort of your own home. If you find that buying commercial facial products isn’t something you want to do, or can’t do, then homemade facial recipes for glowing skin are the way to go. You can create products for many different types of functions, giving you full range and control of what goes in your recipe (and on your face) to achieve your skin goals. Thus, you can base the ingredients you choose for your products on which skin concerns you are looking to target. For example, you could put together a DIY face serum for glowing skin or brightening skin.
There are a couple of options for making a recipe for glowing skin. Here, we will give you three of our favorites! One uses ingredients you can easily find in your home, while the others use ingredients you may need to buy; though, they aren’t too difficult to find. But if you’re more interested in simply looking over these recipes and purchasing a product that is not only already made, but also thoughtfully crafted with high-quality ingredients that are safe for your skin, check out our line of face serums that all have a base of hydrating organic aloe vera.
Carrier Oils & Essential Oils for Glowing Skin
Now, to make yourself products at home, you will need a couple of ingredients. Most products call for carrier oils and essential oils. Below is a brief summary of these two types of oils. To learn more about carrier and essential oils, check out our article that covers their usages for skin types.
What are Carrier Oils?
Carrier oils are made from plants that dilute the potency of essential oils and other ingredients. Their purpose when creating products is to help “carry” the essential oils and other ingredients onto your skin. Most essential oils are potent and can cause irritation if applied undiluted and without caution onto the skin.
Carrier oils, however, are lightly scented or not scented at all and do not interfere with the therapeutic properties of essential oils. You can use carrier oils on their own, too, if you’d like. When choosing a carrier oil, always choose organic, cold-pressed, and unrefined oils. We also recommend looking into the weight of the oil; for example, organic grapeseed oil is a great lightweight carrier oil.
What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are compounds extracted from plants that capture their flavor or essence. Essential oils can be obtained through distillation or other mechanical processes like cold pressing. When picking essential oils to use on your face, ensure they are not extracted using chemical methods. We also recommend always doing a patch test to ensure your skin does not react poorly to the essential oil you plan on featuring in your homemade product.
How To Dilute Essential Oils With Carrier Oils
When diluting these two to make a product, it is crucial to consider the dilution guidelines.
- For 0.5% to 1% concentration, you will add 3-6 drops of essential oil.
- For 1% to 2.5% concentration, you will add 6-15 drops of essential oils.
Rejuvenating Glowing Skin Products With At-Home Ingredients
We have three great recipes for glowing and brightening skin products that you can make with at-home ingredients. Some ingredients like essential oils can be substituted or bought, but that’s pretty much it! There are no ingredients in the recipes below that should be too difficult to source.
If you have sensitive skin, we recommend doing a small patch test of the recipes on the back of your hand or behind your ears; you can also visit this article for more sensitive skin tips. Give the patch tests a few hours to see if any reactions occur before applying fully as a precaution. Otherwise, the ingredients in these recipes for glowing and brightening skin are mild and generally considered safe for all skin types.
DIY Skin Brightening Mask
This DIY product utilizes ingredients you can readily find in your kitchen. If not, you can easily find them at your local grocery store. This DIY face serum is wonderful for brightening skin to give you a healthy, vibrant glow.
What you’ll need
- Two tablespoons of organic lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- Two tablespoons of organic yogurt (Greek yogurt)
How to use it
- Take both ingredients and mix them in a bowl until texture and consistency is even.
- After it turns into a homogenous paste, apply it on your clean face, let it dry, then wash it off.
This product is suitable for all skin types and will give you glowing skin. If you use it consistently, you may see the results in as little as two weeks. As a precaution, ensure you use sunscreen afterward when using this citrus product.
Benefits of ingredients
- According to a study on the clinical efficacy of facial masks containing yogurt, the lactic acid found in the yogurt helps moisturize, brighten, tighten and firm your look.
- Lemon juice also helps in brightening the skin.
Rejuvenating Serum for Glowing Skin
The ingredients in this recipe can easily be sourced online or in your local grocery store if you don’t have them laying around. Use this DIY face serum to hydrate and rejuvenate your skin to a state of blissful radiance.
What you’ll need
- Two tablespoons of organic rose water
- Two tablespoons organic aloe vera gel
- Two capsules of vitamin E
You could also create some of these ingredients at home. For the rose water, gather some rose petals and boil them in water. If you have an aloe vera plant at home, you can cut it, scrape the gel out, and add it to the mixture.
How to use it
- Mix all the ingredients and add them into a small dropper container.
- Cleanse your face before applying the product for maximum benefits.
- Dab a bit on nose, chin, cheeks and forehead.
Blend well. Best used before your preferred facial moisturizer.
Benefits of the ingredients
- Aloe vera is excellent for the skin as it calms and purifies skin. It also helps relieve dryness, as it is very hydrating.
- Rosewater helps balance your skin’s pH and has antioxidant properties that revitalize skin.
- Vitamin E helps prevent the skin from being damaged from pollutants and environmental stressors.
Facial Oil for Glowing Skin
While these ingredients may not be in everyone’s pantry, they are not difficult to find. If you don’t have them on hand, try sourcing these ingredients from your local health & wellness retail shop or online.
What you will need
- ¼ cup of organic jojoba oil
- 3-5 drops of vitamin E oil
- Two teaspoons of organic aloe vera gel
- Organic lavender and calendula essential oils
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, then add them to your glass dropper bottle. You can then apply this product to your clean face.
Benefits of ingredients
- Jojoba oil is excellent for most types (with the exception of very oily skin), as it resembles your skin’s natural oils and does not clog pores. This oil is very moisturizing and great for reducing the appearance of fine lines.
- Lavender and Calendula Essential Oil work together to bolster each other’s strengths at calming and soothing the skin. These essential oils are especially great for those who love spending time outdoors, as they can reduce temporary redness and calm skin from extended sun exposure.
- Vitamin E has antioxidant properties, which help the skin shield itself from environmental stressors and revitalize the appearance of mature skin. When purchasing vitamin E, ensure it’s pure, of good quality, and not mixed with other oils.
- Aloe vera is a humectant, which means it’s an ingredient that preserves moisture. This brings dry and dull skin back to life with a healthy dose of hydration for a plump look. Learn more about humectants in this article.
These three homemade facial recipes for glowing skin can be made with minimal ingredients in less than a few minutes each. Try these recipes over a period of time, and you will be sure to see excellent results. Always remember that your skin care routine should follow this order: cleanser, toner, serum, facial oil, then finish up with sunscreen. Such a fabulous routine will ensure that your skin remains hydrated all day and protected from the elements. If you enjoyed these three recipes for rejuvenating skin, consider checking out these easy DIY anti-aging facial masks you can make at home, or try our brightening skin care products for a gentle, effective glow.