Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
While people may have different responses to the notion of aging, one thing we stand by is the importance of taking care of the skin throughout the years. There are anti-aging ingredients and products that help with this by minimizing signs of aging skin, such as the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
When looking for anti-aging skin care products, especially those that are truly safe for the skin in both the short and long term, it can be challenging to know exactly what ingredients to search for in your face and body products. Additionally, skin aging is more than what you use topically; your diet, genes, environment, and lifestyle habits all influence how your skin reacts and matures.
Even though most skin care products claim to have anti-aging properties, below, we will give you a rundown of specific ingredients for anti-aging benefits that are scientifically proven to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Also, we will go into factors outside of skin care in your lifestyle that can be optimized to protect your skin against premature aging.
Powerful Ingredients for Anti-Aging Used in Products
When looking at skin care products to purchase, look out for these ingredients, as they are some of the best ingredients to utilize for anti-aging skin care.
Even though this isn’t technically an ingredient, it’s something that you must apply to your skin if you want to protect it against UV light (which is notorious for causing premature aging). When purchasing facial skin care products, check them out for SPF as an ingredient. Ensure you’re using a sunscreen with zinc, so that you will have broad-spectrum protection. If your skin is already experiencing some sun damage, sunscreen on its own will not reduce the appearance of dark spots, but it will prevent the cause of further damage to your skin.
Vitamin C is rich in antioxidants, which means that it protects the skin against environmental stressors that break down the skin and cause wrinkles. With continual use of products rich in vitamin C (like our Citrus Stem Cell Serum or Brighten from our Concentrated Boosting Elixirs), you will see smoother, plumper, and more moisturized skin. If you buy vitamin C on its own to use on your skin, you will need to store it carefully as it is sensitive to air and sunlight. If you don’t keep it well, the activated ingredients might not work as effectively as they should.
Vitamin A alternatives
We choose to avoid retinol or Vitamin A-specific ingredients due to the harm they can cause not only to one’s skin, but potentially to one’s health, as well. Instead, we use a bioactive A-Complex (Revitalize in our Concentrated Boosting Elixirs) that is green algae-derived and bioavailable for enhanced absorption. This bioactive A-complex is an ingredient that reduces signs of aging, prevents further aging, and is designed specifically to renew, firm, and tone skin for a more youthful, revitalized look. Choosing a safe alternative to Vitamin A or retinol can improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, dark spots, and dehydrated skin without compromising your health.
Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 that can help unclog pores and reduce the appearance of any dark spots you might have. If you have sensitive skin, you will appreciate this ingredient because it is gentle and brightens the skin without irritating it. Not only being a top ingredient for anti aging, niacinamide can also improve the look of the skin’s health by helping it retain moisture for a dewy complexion.
Most tea extracts like green, oolong, and black are great for the skin. In anti-aging creams (like our Anti-Aging Eye Cream) and serums, you will most likely find green tea extract as an ingredient. Research shows that green tea extract is a top ingredient for anti aging that can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines (1).
These include acids like citric, lactic, salicylic, and glycolic. We prefer to use a pure, honey-derived lactic acid (in our Resurfacing Facial Exfoliant) because it can simultaneously exfoliate and hydrate the skin—proving effectiveness without damaging it. Lactic acid is considered one of the safest, most non-irritating alpha hydroxy acids and it prepares the skin through exfoliation to absorb the ingredients that follow. When searching for this ingredient, try to find one that is of a high-quality, natural origin (like honey or fruits).
Regular use of lactic acid helps you have smooth skin, while reducing the appearance of dark spots. It can also fade out the look of fine lines and wrinkles. According to studies, the use of AHAs also helps thicken the epidermis, keeping wrinkles at bay.
Can Lifestyle Choices Reverse Aging?
Yes. Besides an anti-aging skin care routine, lifestyle choices significantly influence how your skin ages and how quickly it ages. Below are some changes you can make to prevent your skin from aging prematurely.
- Don’t smoke: Smoking increases the formation of fine lines around your mouth, and it can be hard to reverse them. Also, it has a lot of harmful effects on your general health. According to scientific research, smoking can also cause acne, psoriasis, and premature skin aging.
- Drink less alcohol: Alcohol causes dehydration in the body which we all know doesn’t work well for the skin. People who drink more than average tend to have facial aging. Drink at least eight glasses of water per day to keep your body hydrated.
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants: Antioxidant-rich foods like fruits and leafy vegetables help the body maintain strong natural defenses and keep away the appearance of wrinkles—there are studies that prove this fact, too.
- Diet and exercise: Eating a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables (without pesticides) will help keep your skin looking refreshed and wrinkle-free for longer. Be mindful of your sugar intake, as consuming lots of refined sugar is not great for your skin and will mostly result in breakouts. And, keep the body moving in a way that excites you! Exercising helps in boosting blood circulation in the body, which in turn ensures blood rich in oxygen reaches your skin, making it appear more youthful.
- Moisturize your face: You can use face oils to ensure that your skin never gets dry. Face oils help retain moisture in your skin, making your skin look plump and youthful. Moisturization is one of the best solutions for preventing and reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Once you begin using facial oils, you will keep wrinkles away longer.
- Cleanse your face twice a day and after a sweat session: When you sweat, your skin becomes irritated, which can result in a rash or other types of reactions and breakouts. To avoid this, wash your face with a pH-balanced cleanser in the morning and evening and after you visit the gym for cleansed skin, free of dirt and grime.
- Stop using tanning machines: Tanning machines and related equipment are dangerous as they contain harmful UV light, which accelerates the aging of your skin. If you want to avoid wrinkles, steer clear of tanning beds and equipment. Instead, opt for the outdoors to achieve a sun-kissed glow (but don’t forget to apply natural sunscreen regularly if exposed to longer periods of sunlight).
There are many factors in our everyday lives that age and impact the health of our skin. Above, we have listed the best ingredients for anti-aging skin care and lifestyle habits to adopt to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and prevent further signs of aging. Because skin health is determined by what you consume and what you apply topically, it is best to use both strategies together on your path to revitalized, awakened skin.
Everyone has their own pace, so make the changes at a rate that feels sustainable for you—eventually, through habit, they will become routine and you will see the results of a more youthful, supple complexion. Interested in expanding your anti-aging regimen? Head over to our article that covers DIY anti-aging facial routines to further benefit your skin.
Frequently Ask Questions
What ingredients reduce wrinkles?
The best ingredients for reducing the appearance of wrinkles are vitamin C, bioactive-A complex, niacinamide, tea extracts, and hydroxy acids (we prefer a pure, honey-derived lactic acid). When looking for these ingredients in products, ensure they are 100% organic products and always wear sunscreen.
What ingredients help the skin look younger?
The best ingredients for anti-aging skin care are ones that exfoliate, moisturize, and unclog your pores. These include vitamin C, sunscreen, niacinamide, tea extracts, hydroxy acids, and sunscreen.