You know how a fresh ruby red grapefruit can help you feel vibrant and alive in the morning? After all, it’s so juicy and tart at the same time—if you’re dragging, it’s the perfect morning food.
We’ve long known that grapefruit is good for you. A super source of vitamin C, it’s a great tool to use when you’re wanting to boost your immune system. It has many other health benefits as well, but you may not have heard about what it can do for the skin.
One of the main benefits of ruby grapefruit is that it can help balance natural oils—making it perfect for oily skin. Add in the tangy scent and you have a wonderful addition for your morning cleanser, which by the way, is just what we used it for!
Grapefruit oil is wonderful for oily skin, as it helps balance natural oil.
A Little Bit About the Ingredient Itself
Grapefruit fruit comes from a citrus tree that is actually a hybrid formed from two other trees—the pomelo or shaddock, and the sweet orange. Scientifically called Citrus paradisi, it is an evergreen tree that grows up to 20 feet tall with dark green leaves and white, four-petaled flowers. Ruby red grapefruit is one of the many varieties now available.
Internal Health Benefits of Ruby Grapefruit
In addition to being a great source of vitamin C, pink and red varieties of grapefruit are rich in lycopene, a carotenoid that works as a powerful antioxidant. Some studies have shown that men who eat lycopene-rich foods have a lower risk of prostate cancer.
Participants who ate them were also able to lower their cholesterol levels. Researchers think it’s because grapefruit contains pectin, a form of soluble fiber.
Grapefruit juice may help lower the risk of kidney stones, as it helps to increase the secretion of citric acid. Because grapefruit has an enzyme that can increase blood levels of some prescription drugs, however, doctors warn people who are taking drugs to check first before regularly consuming this tasty treat.
Ruby Grapefruit's Benefits to the Skin
The benefits of grapefruit for the skin all come down to creating a fresh start. No matter how many serums, moisturizers, or creams you use, you must start with skin that is clean, smooth, and free of contaminants.
- Cleanses: Grapefruit is a perfect addition to cleansers, and will leave skin fresh and tingling.
- Tones: Grapefruit oil helps tone your look, minimizing the appearance of your pores and making skin look smoother.
- Balances: One of its stand-out properties, grapefruit balances natural oils,. By absorbing these excess oils and unclogging pores, the ingredient helps clean up oily and combination skin. This property also makes grapefruit helpful in hair-care products for those with an oily scalp.
- Uplifting scent: In aromatherapy, grapefruit oil is used to help ease the mind. Because its scent wakes you up, it’s perfect in cleansing formulas.
- Protective: Like most natural ingredients, grapefruit oil provides antioxidant protection.
If you find your skin is looking dull, oily, and splotchy. It has ruby grapefruit oil, along with other ingredients, that will help balance natural oils, revive your skin's look, and help your serums and creams work better. Give it a try.
Do you use ruby grapefruit oil? Please share your tips.