As one of the most requested beauty products by our customers over the years, it’s honestly about time we launched an organic lip balm. Not only is it a less complex product to make in comparison to the rest of our facial formulas, but it’s absolutely an essential part of the complete Annmarie beauty routine. Lips need love, too!
We admit we’ve been a little biased with what parts of our skin need the most attention. While formulating potent, anti-aging skin care products has been our focus over the years, our lips (if not taken care of) can show premature signs of aging as well. This truth can no longer be neglected, so our simple, yet effective natural lip balm creation has finally emerged! And what a beautiful compliment it is to Annmarie Skin Care.
What we love about lip balm and the application of it, is that it literally takes no longer than three seconds to put on. A complete facial routine however, takes time, time that we are already spending to maintain a healthy complexion. So, since the the lips are such an easy thing to care for, why not adopt this as a daily ritual? Oh, how they will thank you…
Why Lip Balm is Essential
Similar to the skin around the eyes, the lips have much thinner and more sensitive skin than anywhere else on the face. Lips have no oil glands, so they really need that extra moisture and protection throughout the day. Otherwise, you risk your lips getting dry, chapped and even the occasional peeling—and it isn’t until our lips experience these discomforts that we put much thought into the importance of keeping them moisturized all of the time.
While some of us live in seasonal or even extreme weather conditions, which are the biggest culprits of dry lips, there are also other factors that lead to lip sensitivities. A lack of hydration in the body, underlying health issues, licking your lips too much or simply choosing the wrong type of chapstick—you know, one with synthetic ingredients that don’t moisturize properly—are all potential causes of parched lips.
Regardless of the cause, a couple of applications throughout the day can really keep your overall lip health in check!
- Always keep a natural lip balm in your bag or pocket wherever you go. Keeping one stored in the bathroom, in your car and one next to your bed will help you be consistent with your applications.
- Apply the moment your lips feel dry. Continue to apply throughout the day until lips feel smooth and soft.
- Drink a lot of water! Your lips will feel full and plump when you are internally hydrated.
- Exfoliate your lips. Exfoliating the lips with an ultra-gentle exfoliant (ie: brown sugar) will help to remove any dead skin and will increase the absorption of our Antioxidant Lip Balm, keeping your lips super moisturized for longer.
- Apply balm before tint. If you apply lip tint or lipstick, moisturizing your lips prior to lip color application will allow for smooth, even coverage. Sometimes bright lipsticks can settle into cracks in the lips and make them look more pronounced. (The last thing we want to do is bring attention to dry, scaly lips!)
Benefits Of Our Antioxidant Lip Balm
Though lip balms are designed to moisturize the lips and keep them soft and nourished, not all of them are created with that in mind. Conventional lip balms often contain petrolatum, synthetic waxes, alumina, parabens, hydrogenated oils and artificial fragrances and colors.
In our opinion, these aren’t really ingredients we want to be licking off of our lips (and then swallowing) throughout the day. Nor do we want to be using ingredients that exacerbate dryness and serve almost no nutritional purpose for keeping your lips healthy.
For a skin care product that is intended to be applied several times a day on your mouth, the entry to your body, it should be made up entirely of pure and edible ingredients.
Not only is our lip balm made up of proven natural moisturizing oils, but it also contains protective and breathable barriers for the lips. In addition to the balm’s base, we add in antioxidant-rich fruit oils that deliver intense nutrition to keep the skin on and around the lips full, lush and restored.
Another perk? It tastes like chocolate!
Abby Stoecker is a Licensed Esthetician with 9 years of experience in the beauty industry. Her journey has led her to experience first hand the entire cycle of the esthetics industry—first working as a practitioner, then as an Account Manager/ Brand Evangelist at a skin care product company (ASC),…
what’s your skin snapshot?
Take the Quiz
Our skin is affected by many factors, including our environment, health, the food we eat, and more. Get your free personalized results and find out your skin snapshot!