I work virtually for Annmarie Skin Care from my home in NY State and it has been a bone chilling cold and snow filled winter. Here’s the view of what Mother Nature has given us from my window:
I think I speak for all of us in the Northeast when I say “Come onnnn, Spring!!!” Bring on the melting of the snow, the gorgeous green grass, flowers blooming, gardening, the warm sun heating up our faces, and lots more time outside (that’s not spent shoveling snow)….
These thoughts about warmer weather make me think about outdoor gatherings with friends and family. So much fun. 🙂
One of my favorite things to bring to one of these gatherings is this Lentil Salad. It takes less than 10 minutes to whip up (5 if you’re really fast) is light, filling, choc full of healthy ingredients, and a definite crowd pleaser (it’s one of my 7 year old’s favorite dishes). 🙂 It also works perfectly as a meal, side dish, or snack.
Here’s the delicious recipe:
Serves 4-6. Lasts for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
*Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 3 cups cooked lentils
- 1 red, orange, or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 of a medium onion, cut into small chunks
- 1 small bunch of cilantro, stems removed, chopped
- Optional: feta cheese, sliced olives, sauerkraut
- 3 TB Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. Aztec Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Pepper
- Mix all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Once mixed, pour into the salad. Stir and taste. Add in more vinegar, olive oil, salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Optional: Mix in optional feta and/or olives. Additionally, you can top each individual serving of lentil salad with sauerkraut.
My lentil salad is extremely forgiving and easy to adjust.
Let us know how you spiced up this recipe to make it your own!
by Lisa Miller