Last week, we posted our team's favorite snacks, with a focus on foods that are healthy and nourishing.
Well, we recently added someone new to our team, and she shared her delicious popcorn recipe with us. So we thought we'd share it with you. 🙂
Lauryn, our new Social Media Coordinator (she's the one you'll talk to if you message us on Facebook), loves popcorn. In fact, she calls it one of her all-time favorite snacks.
And popcorn can be a really healthy snack. It all depends on which kind you use and what you put on top of it. We recommend buying organic kernels and topping it with healing spices like turmeric and healthy fats like coconut oil.
This recipe also includes nutritional yeast, which is a food almost every vegan eater has in their pantry. That's because it's a uniquely non-animal source of B12, a really important nutrient that helps keep our nerves and blood healthy. You can find nutritional yeast in your local health food store or food coop (we love buying it in bulk). It's light sensitive, so make sure to store it in a cool, dry place.
Here's Lauryn's recipe:
Healthy Homemade Popcorn
- 1/2 cup organic popcorn
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp ghee (or, just use another tbsp coconut oil)
- About 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Dash of turmeric
- Dash of cumin
- Dash of himalayan sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Pop popcorn on the stovetop.
- Melt ghee and coconut oil together and pour over popcorn.
- Sprinkle on nutritional yeast. This is really to taste, so if you want to add more than 3 tbsp, go for it!
- Add remaining ingredients, using your eyes and tastebuds as guides.