You’ve likely heard about detox diets, which are used to help cleanse waste and impurities out of the body, in an effort to improve digestion and restore energy.
Is it possible to do the same with your skin? After a long, harsh winter, can you cleanse your skin and your pores and start fresh for the summer?
Turns out you can! Here are our tips for your summer skin detox. Try them and let us know how they work for you.
After a long, harsh winter, your skin is likely to need a detox. Try our tips to create a fresh, radiant appearance!
Why a Skin Detox?
If you’re new to the world of detoxing, you may wonder why your skin would need one. What could a skin detox do for you?
Your skin is one of the major organs involved in eliminating wastes and impurities from your body, mainly through perspiration. Sometimes, if your system is overwhelmed, your skin may develop issues to compensate, and try to get rid of these impurities.
A skin detox seeks to help the skin to get rid of the body’s waste products, which can, in turn, help your skin look and feel better. Particularly if you notice problems in your skin, a detox may be just the ticket. Signs that you may need a skin detox include:
- Dull, sallow skin
- Uneven skin tone
- Oily skin
- Wrinkles and sagging skin
- Dry or sensitive skin
In other words, if your skin isn’t looking as good as you’d like, a summer skin detox may help improve its condition and help you look more healthy and vibrant for the warmer months.
Tips for Your Skin Detox
Depending on your skin type and condition, and how much time you want to spend, we’ve included several ideas below that will help cleanse your system and give you a jump start. We’ve included some internal methods of detox as well, since your skin is only as healthy as the rest of you, and internal detoxing can only benefit your appearance. Pick and choose as you wish!
- Super mud mask: Mud masks help pull impurities and waste materials out of your skin, unclog clogged pores, and revitalize the look of dull skin, so they’re good for purification anytime. To supersize them for a summer skin detox, slather them on a little thicker than usual, let sit for 10-15 minutes, then step into a steaming hot bath and let the steam further work the ingredients into your skin. After another 5-10 minutes, rinse off and enjoy the fresh feeling! Of course, we recommend you use our Purifying Mud Mask for this step.
- Drink more water: A common recommendation for health, drinking water is an important step in detoxing your body, inside and out. Unfortunately, particularly in the winter, we tend to drink less, taxing our internal waste removal systems. Make a point for at least a week to drink more. For a detoxing boost, sip plain hot water every 10-15 minutes through the day for the week, and in addition, drink half your ideal weight in ounces of room temperature water each day as well. So if you weigh 120 pounds, drink an additional 60 ounces (about 7.5 cups). Make sure your water is pure. Consider using a water filter if you don’t have one. And if you want some extra detoxing power, add some lemon to the water. Lemons naturally promote healthy digestion.
- Cut out the junk: The more you eat junk foods, the more your skin will suffer. At least for one week, stay off “congesting” foods like animal fats, dairy products, white bread, fast foods, and sugar. Eat as pure and healthy as you can, including lots of fresh berries and fruits.
- Sip more tea: Teas like nettle, ginger, dandelion, and sarsaparilla root are known to support the body and skin. Drink at least two cups of these teas a day for at least one week.
- Citrus steam: For a deep cleansing facial, pour hot water into a small bowl and add a few drops of citrus essential oil. Soak a hand towel in the water and drape over your face. Lie down and allow the steam to open your pores and pull out the impurities. Follow with a refreshing cleanser, such as our Citrus Mint Facial Cleanser.
- Exfoliate: Try stepping it up for a week and exfoliating a few more times than usual. Try our Dead Sea Facial Scrub 2-4 times in one week, depending on your level of skin sensitivity.
- Go sweating: Exercise gets your heart beating and your skin sweating, which helps to cleanse impurities from your body. Try your favorite exercise at least five times a week, and consider a heat yoga or spa session to turn up the heat.
- Dry brush: Dry brushing is the best way to exfoliate the skin all over your body. Use those brushes made for the job, and right before your bath or shower, take about five minutes to brush your skin. Using circular motions, start at your feet and work your way up, massaging toward your heart. You’ll remove dead skin cells and make your skin incredibly clean.
- Cleansing bath: Use your bath to detox your skin by adding a cup of Epsom salts and a cup of unfiltered apple cider vinegar to your hot water. These will draw dirt and other impurities out of your pores, helping your skin to start over fresh. To make it more luxurious, add some lavender or sandalwood oil.
- Natural acid peel: Using the insides of natural papaya or cucumber skins, rub on the surface of skin to neutralize wastes. Each of these contains natural alpha hydroxy acids, which are recommended for purifying skin.
Do you have other tips for detoxing your skin? Please share with our readers.