Think the only thing that can make your teeth white and clean comes in a tube with a brand name on it? Think again!
If you want to save money, avoid unnatural ingredients, and feel like an alchemist and a dentist all at the same time, it's time to start making your own oral hygiene products. We'll start with toothpaste, the bread and butter of dental care.
DIY Natural Toothpaste
This recipe comes from one of our favorite blogs, Trash is For Tossers. Lauren Singer's blog documents her zero waste lifestyle, an impressively sustainable and simultaneously chic endeavor, the way she does it.
Her recipe for ‘zero waste toothpaste' is incredibly simple:
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking soda
- 25-30 drops organic, food grade peppermint essential oil, or another oil you prefer
- Melt coconut oil in the container you plan to store your toothpaste in (a short glass jar works well for this).
- Mix together with baking soda and essential oil.
Lauren says this will last about a month and a half. You can watch a video of her making it here.
DIY Natural Mouth Wash
This recipe is from our team member, Rachel. Her house smells like an essential oil paradise, and she loves brewing up concoctions like body butters and lip balms. Her natural mouth wash recipe is cleansing, and makes your breath smell fresh!
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tsp food grade hydrogen peroxide
- 15 drops thieves blend essential oil
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops of neem oil
Directions: Mix together and store along with your other dental products.
This isn't a recipe, but rather a recommendation. A few of us have started using bamboo toothbrushes, and we love them! It's one more way to eliminate plastic from your home, and they biodegrade! We love the ones from Woo Bamboo.